New Employee Information

New Employee Certification

All new employees are required to comply with the following state and federal requirements before starting work. Appointments are contingent upon meeting these conditions:

  • Form I‑9 must be certified by the University
  • Evidence of identity (e.g. driver's license, passport, birth certificate)
  • Valid Social Security Card
  • Oaths of allegiance to the Constitutions of the United States and the State of California.

These conditions must be documented in Payroll Services (Bldg. 01, Room 107). The law dictates civil fines from $100 to $1,000 per employee for failure to comply with record keeping requirements. Cal Poly only employs individuals legally authorized to work in the United States (Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986).

Photo Identification Card (PolyCard)

Payroll Services issues a temporary identification (ID) card, and provides information for obtaining a more permanent photo ID known as a PolyCard. The PolyCard allows faculty to participate in events or services limited to Cal Poly employees and/or students, including use of the library, check cashing privileges, participation in University activities at reduced rates, and use of the city and regional bus system at discounted rates. University employees are given an initial PolyCard, but will be charged for replacements. Exceptions are made for cards worn out from years of use or a new ID card is issued to the campus community as a whole. PolyCards are valid for current employees only and must be returned to the Payroll Service office upon terminating employment.


Key Shop is located in Building 58, Room 103 under the key shop awning. Employees must present an authorization card signed by their dean or designee and a valid photo identification card (see above). Blank key requests are available from your department.

All keys are the property of the State of California and are issued to employees so they may carry out the responsibilities of their assignment. Employees are responsible for all keys checked out to them. Employees must notify the authorizing department, University Police, and Facility Services Key Shop if a key is lost.

Upon separation or retirement from the University, all university keys must be returned to the Facilities Services Key Shop upon completing the Personnel Separation and Transfer Form 300. Unauthorized possession of a state key may be considered a misdemeanor violation of the California Penal Code, Section 469.

Central Computer Access

All faculty, staff and enrolled students receive a Cal Poly user name and password. This core account enables access to Cal Poly computing resources such as the My Cal Poly web portal, email, calendar, and central systems used for web sites. Account types and eligibility requirements can be found at the service desk web site.

For more information about campus computing resources, visit Information Technology Services for assistance.


A full copy of the campus parking rules and regulations can be found on the University Police web site. It is highly recommended that every new faculty and staff member review the campus parking rules and regulations prior to parking on campus.

Faculty and staff wishing to park on campus must purchase a parking permit. Parking fees are subject to change in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Parking permits may be purchased at the University Cashier's Office, Administration Building, Room 131E. Please visit the University Cashier Office web site for current hours. The Visitor Information Center located at the entrance to campus on Grand Avenue and Slack Street sells parking permits Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., and quarter breaks and Summer Term from 7:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Payment of parking permits is also available through a monthly payroll deduction plan.

Parking permits and meters are enforced Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m., Friday, quarter breaks and Summer Term from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. From 5 p.m. on Friday until 7 a.m. on Monday, parking permits and meters are not enforced unless otherwise indicated. On weekdays after 5 p.m., any vehicle displaying a valid Cal Poly permit may park in Sponsored Guest, Staff, General, or Resident parking spaces until 7 a.m. the following morning. A parking permit is never honored in metered spaces unless accompanied by a DMV issued Disabled Placard or License Plate.

Cal Poly enforces parking permit and meter regulations throughout quarter breaks and during holidays where campus remains open for non-academic business. During academic breaks and on the first three (3) days of each academic quarter, quarterly permits from either the previous or upcoming academic quarter will be honored in their respective zones.

Parking areas limited to faculty/staff are identified by one or more of the following recognizable markings: a sign posted at the entrance to the parking lot designating it as “STAFF”, marked wheel stops, or pavement/curb markings with the word “STAFF” stenciled in the space. Wheel stops are generally white, or white and orange with “STAFF” stenciled in black. There are a number of 24/7 staff parking spots as well as those designated for staff use during normal enforcement hours.

Parking regulations for red zones, bicycle lanes, fire lanes, ‘no parking’ zones, disabled spaces, bus zones, yellow/state vehicle zones, and passenger loading zones are strictly enforced 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Since bicycle lanes and bus zones are prevalent on campus, curbing must not be used for parking, even of short duration, unless specifically marked otherwise. Vehicles parked in limited-time passenger loading zones cannot be left unoccupied for any amount of time. Faculty and staff should be aware that fines for parking in no-parking zones on campus are steep. Please see the campus map and directory of facilities in the Appendix for the locations of campus parking facilities.

The maximum speed limit on campus is 25 miles per hour, unless otherwise posted. Complimentary off-duty parking permits allow faculty who are on leave during a specific academic quarter or quarters to visit campus briefly (mail pick-up, checking schedules, messages, etc.). These permits may be obtained from Parking Services (756-6654).

Sponsored Guest permits may be purchased by the hosting department or sponsor from Parking Services, Visitor Information Center on Grand Avenue, or at the University Cashier's Office. Chargeback forms are available.

License Plates

New California resident motorists are required to obtain California state license plates for their vehicles within 20 days after they accept employment or establish residency. The local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) office is located at 3190 South Higuera, San Luis Obispo (805-543-3994). Visit the California DMV web site for more information.

Housing Information

The University Housing Administration Office (Bldg. 31) maintains information on off-campus housing and provides a variety of resources to assist faculty and staff in their search for housing in San Luis Obispo and the surrounding areas.

In addition, when space is available, the Conference Coordinating Center (Bldg. 113) offers temporary housing in residence halls during summer months for Cal Poly employees and families. New faculty wishing to avail themselves of this opportunity while seeking housing should call the Conference Coordinating Center (756-7600) for rates and additional information.

Please visit University Housing’s web site at for additional information. You may also contact them by calling 756-1226.

Cal Poly Housing Corporation

The University is actively working to develop staff and student housing. The Bella Montaña homes are an example of this development. Constructed for Cal Poly faculty and staff members, Bella Montaña is located at Highway 1 and Highland Drive and contains 69 attached homes comprised of 15 tri-plexus and 6 four-plexus. For additional information regarding faculty and staff housing opportunities and projects please visit Cal Poly Housing Corporation.

Related Content



Click the link for registrar, payroll, work schedule, LWP, periodic evaluation, RPT, documentation and payment calendars.

Important Dates

Summer Term

Baker Science Building

Summer Eligibility Lists, Instruction, and Forms

Summer Term Info

H-1B Visas

Information on applying for an H-1B Visa.

Get Answers Here


Visit this page to access Interfolio resources, instructional guides and training dates. For assistance submitting your electronic Working Personnel Action File (WPAF) for a performance or periodic evaluation.

More Information

Cluster Hire

Cal Poly strongly values diversity and inclusion, especially in the classroom and among its areas of study. To promote inclusive teaching strategies across the university and increase curricular coverage of areas related to diversity and inclusion, a university-wide cluster of tenure-track faculty search was launched.

Meet The New Faculty